Contract Management Paralegal
Nerium International has established a direct sales business model to provide their products to customers around the globe via thousands of direct sales Brand Partners which is part of the aggressive growth and success since its founding in 2011. Nerium is positioned for continued growth both domestically and internationally. Nerium is based in Dallas, Texas with the basic functional areas including a call center in the corporate office. We also have entities established in Mexico (2014), Canada (2014) and moving into multiple Asia Pacific market in 2015.
Performs a variety of administrative duties and complex legal support roles demonstrating an advanced level of skill and ability in support of the Legal Department. Directly supports one or more attorney(s) and/or senior paralegal(s), usually including a General Counsel or above. Under supervisory guidance of an attorney or senior paralegal, performs moderate to complex tasks relating to legal issues pertaining to contracts administration that must be addressed by or for the Company. Proactively exercises independent judgment to develop, manage and implement processes and procedures to ensure tasks and projects are completed in a timely and efficient manner for the purpose of meeting sensitive legal deadlines. Maintains highly confidential/sensitive information exercising the utmost discretion, including systems, processes and procedures for document management. Ability to use good judgment in dealing with internal business partners, executives, outside counsel and government officials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports contract review process including: review, evaluation, and drafting of contract/agreement terms. Distributes pending contracts to appropriate departments throughout the Company/subsidiary for review and solicits, compiles, and evaluates comments.
- Under general guidance of attorney or senior paralegal, prepares basic to moderately complex agreements, instruments, or other standard legal documents or correspondence relating to legal and/or business operations.
- Personally handles and offers solutions to sometimes complex contract inquiries, initiating research and follow up as appropriate. Schedules meetings without prior approval of attorney or senior paralegal for purpose of independently gathering information and researching issues. Ensures attorney and senior paralegal are well briefed prior to meetings, calls or other events. Drafts correspondence of a non-routine, often complex nature; generally requiring extensive research to respond to incoming inquiries or standard legal issues pertaining to contracts.
- Manage contract administration database, including maintenance of contractual deadlines and terms, and ensuring that all contracts are electronically scanned and uploaded into database.
- Interfaces directly with members of other departments, outside counsel, government, and quasi-governmental agencies and vendors regarding a variety of issues, as assigned. Exercises an extremely high level of sensitivity, ability to think quickly, and professionalism when interfacing with internal and external contacts.
- Preliminarily evaluates and assesses general requirements relating to legal contractual issues and tasks of a recurring nature and utilizes established guidelines and analytical thinking to make recommendations at an advanced level. Independently responds to standard legal inquiries that do not require action by a Company attorney or senior paralegal.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required, including assistance in the training and development of new Legal Administrative Assistants. Completes special projects as assigned by attorney(s) and/or senior paralegal(s) as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Minimum Bachelors Degree or equivalent, and a Paralegal certificate from an accredited institution or equivalent training or education. ABA paralegal certificate or Certified Paralegal designation preferred.
Experience: 6 years of progressive administrative/legal experience, 3 years must be legal related work environment.
- Requires knowledge of document formats of a legal nature such as contracts, briefs, summonses, complaints, and motions.
- Must understand technical legal terminology.
- Must be able to handle extremely sensitive and/or confidential information with utmost discretion.
- Excellent communication skills required to interact with various departments, all levels of management, and external contacts, including outside counsel and government agencies.
- Must have the ability to work in a timely manner by exercising discretion and utilizing independent judgment in order to meet business needs and demands.
- Must be able to utilize independent judgment and make sound decisions regarding how to respond to issues, when to escalate to a Company attorney or senior paralegal, and appropriate course of action to recommend.
- Must be able to demonstrate anticipation in order to follow through effectively.
- Must have excellent grammar, writing, and proofreading skills.
- Must have project management capabilities including the ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks for self and others.
- Requires knowledge of word processing software, database, and other organization software programs including Microsoft Office and related business software.
- Intermediate to advanced spreadsheet skills including Excel.
- Ability to prepare routine database reports.
- Must be able to prepare presentations using PowerPoint or other software including advanced graphics (clip art, videos, linked or embedded objects).
- Establish, organize and maintain administrative and legal hard copy and electronic department files (including files on-site and off-site).
- Prepare mailings (email, hard copy and/or both).
- Other legal and administrative duties as required for other members of the legal department.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 6 years of related work experience with a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a certified paralegal with a large law firm or corporate law department with a concentration on domestic and international subsidiary management.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Paralegal certificate or degree required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in contract administration or contract management.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and analytical.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, be flexible, and be able to prioritize and complete projects effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated high proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of products, entity management systems and database creation and maintenance.
- Contract management experience supporting international operations advantageous.
- Strong computer and communication skills required. Proficiency at the MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must be capable of learning other specialized database management programs, with limited training.
- Great organization and record keeping skills a must.
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently and adept at managing and completing several simultaneous projects in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete under time constraints with great attention to detail.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and may be required to perform administrative duties for other department members on an as-needed basis.
- Must possess good judgment in making decisions and be creative in solving problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Client focused approach to work.
- A flexible attitude with respect to work assignments and new learning.
- Ability to manage multiple and varied tasks with enthusiasm and prioritize workload with attention to detail.
Applicable Core Competencies
- Integrity – Be honest, dependable, maintaining a strong work ethic; work diligently, follow company policies, respect co-workers, build trust and exhibit professional and responsible behavior
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems time efficiently; Gathers and analyzes information; Develops solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification when necessary; Responds informatively to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and concisely; Edits work; Varies writing style to meet specific needs; Presents data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to handle frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Encourage an Entrepreneurial Spirit – Believe in your dreams enough to get outside your comfort zone. Remember to live life on your own terms.
- Create a Positive Team Spirit and Family Atmosphere – A positive spirit is a valuable asset, and we aspire to use it every day. For Nerium, the cliché’ “the family who plays together, stays together” is way of life. We take our work seriously, but we are also a fun-loving family.
- Be Determined – In our business, it’s important to stay the course. Our outlook is such that obstacles are only opportunities in disguise.
- Have Fun and Help Others to Have Fun – Nerium consist of real people with a can-d attitude who want to create real change. Having fund helps work, which makes us more productive.
- Dream Big and Act on It Daily – Dreams consist of many smaller goals that can be acted up on daily. That’s how Nerium International grows as a brand, and that’s how we want our people to grow too.
- Embrace and Drive Change – WE know it’s important to stay one step ahead and continually evolve. Change is necessary for growth, as a business and as a person. So we will always seek new ways to grow and improve.
- Slow Down to Go Fast - Haste makes waste. Slow and steady wins the race. Get the job done right the first time. Quality over quantity. You get the idea.
- Practice Servant Leadership – We believe that the best leaders are givers, not takers. WE help each other and provide selfless service, because that’s what a family does.
- Be Real – At Nerium International, our mantra is real: getting real, being real, and creating real change. But we also want to attract genuine people who can be themselves and have fun.
- Pursue Constant Development Self – No matter how successful or accomplished one might be, there are always more improvements to be made.
Applicants for employment in the USA must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Nerium/Live Happy (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status). Nerium/Live Happy is an EEO Employer of all people including Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, all employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. Nerium/Live Happy is committed to providing veteran employment opportunities to our service men and women.
Nerium International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.